Mar 21, 2011

Painting the INSIDE of the front door BLACK

I know at first the idea seems strange, and when I first mentioned it to Nick he said absolutely not. But then I showed him some examples of what I was talking about, and he caught the vision and was on board with the idea.

This idea all started with the two pictures I posted earlier this week.  Such a simple concept and makes the door pop rather than blend in with the rest of the molding.  Once I started thinking about doing it I began to notice that many other people have done the same thing.  Isn't that the way it always goes...once you start thinking about something you start to notice it all the time.  Below are a few examples of other black doors I have come across.





Do you notice what else is painted black in most of these pictures???  The railing and newel post.  I think it looks great....maybe I will put that in the lineup of future projects!

Since last week was Spring Break week in Birmingham (and I was the only person in my office on Friday afternoon) I decided to leave a little early and start painting.

-First I washed the door with soap and water.
-I taped off the hinges and lock mechanisms with painters tape (however in the end we decided to take the lock and door knob off all together)
-Then painted.  It took two coats to fully cover up the white.

I used a quart of this paint.



It is premixed and in my Lowes is was next to the spray paint.  Ask them to shake it for you at the paint counter.

I used a 4" foam roller and a foam brush (to get in the crevices and around the edges).

I am really pleased with how it turned out and once again just wish I would have done it a long time ago.






Please excuse the quality of my pictures... I am a horrible photographer.

2 comments:

  1. Is your foyer a beige color? I have a medium putty/beige color and I am thinking about painting the inside of my door black also. The outside is and I was thinking of using the leftover chalkboard paint that I have to make it black. I have slim windows on each side of the door too that I'm not sure if I should paint around as well as they are part of the door assembly.

    ReplyDelete